Monday, October 10, 2011

On The Way Back

After finishing Ay20 helping session, Iryna, Nathan, David, and I walked back together while talking about the "Phinney-unit." Then, Iryna pointed at a bright spot in the sky near to the Moon and asked, "Is that a planet?" Nathan replied, "Yeah, that's Jupiter. Actually, if you look through a binocular, you can see the Galilean moons." So, after grabbing a binoculars at Nathan's room, we looked up in the sky and saw the following picture.
Basically, we saw the jupiter with two moons to the right. That makes me wonder, which two moons are we looking at? So, when I came back to my room, I opened up the program called Stellarium and checked it out.
Those two moons turn out to be Ganymede and Calisto. We can't see Io and Europa, may be because they are close to Jupiter today (or I just have bad eyes.)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm so glad that you saw Jupiter. I was kicking myself for not announcing it's visibility during TALC that night.

    ReplyDelete